What’s the longest you’ve taken to make something, start to finish? This top, Butterick 3385, took a year and a half!
I made it at the beginning of 2012. Muslined first, then spent time finishing with french seams and bias bound the underbust seam. I must have forgotten to try it on during making, because when I did, it was far too big all over, and the bias binding made that seam lumpy. The thought of remaking it was too much, and it’s been in a drawer ever since.
So this week, as one of my June resolutions, I decided to fix it.
I decided not to make it too fitted, as the fabric is vintage viscose and fairly delicate. I unpicked the front seam and eased the two front pieces across so they wrapped a bit more. Then I sewed around the armholes so the frills and shoulders are both shorter. Then I serged all the raw edges – no lumpy bias binding.
It’s still quite loose, but the fabric is very drapey so it looks fine. And it is wearable at last!
Looking back at my original post, I also mentioned that we were about to pick up this little one -
In that year and a half, Hetty has grown a bit!